Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The 3D Platformer, First Edition

Well, here it is. For the first time in this class, we were tasked with diving into Unity and making one of our very own 3D platformers, using concepts and ideas learned throughout the course. Now, this was no means supposed to be perfect as we had to learn Unity as well made the map, so mine, as well as many others' maps weren't the greatest things in the world.
Now, my map had four major points that most of my playtesters either struggled with or pointed out throughout my level. Overall, they felt it was a good level with a good challenge, and they knew exactly where to go at every point. Starting with point 1, however, they felt it was a bit hard. The original instructions stated that this level had to be more of a tutorial level, so it was supposed to be quite easy. However, this first was very difficult for some people, with some getting stumped almost immediately (I thought it was pretty easy for me since I had been playtesting it nonstop while working on the level). Most of them felt that this was partly due to the lack of control of the camera, and how the only way to turn it was by turning the character, making it very disorienting and hard to jump onto small, more precise platforms. A suggestion that was made was to put some sort of platform below that you could land on if you missed a jump, making it easier to walk back to the start and try again rather than stopping the game and starting it up again, which I felt was a great idea. Also, someone suggested the the long pole type thing after the first four platforms seemed a bit too skinny, making it almost a game of luck when it comes to jumping on it because of the camera angle, so I plan on making it wider.
One of the next main problems of my level was at this middle point in my level (point #2 in the 2nd picture). There were two problems that people had, with the blue arrow being the first problem. Because of how the original standard ramp assets were designed, walking down them is a little weird, and it makes it pretty hard to jump when going down them. I wanted to include a jump over this wall at the bottom of this, but because of this flaw, many people had a hard time at this part, and had trouble getting over the jump, which leads into the red arrow. The red arrow points to where the player is required to go, but as you can see, you aren't able to see where you're going because of the static camera, which made it very confusing for my playtesters. Most of them were able to figure it out, but they honestly didn't really like this aspect. However, I plan on including a big red arrow that points down to lead the players to where they need to go, just so they aren't confused. Also, one of my playtesters thought it was a bit harder to play with the camera angle I have set, so I may tweak that a bit.

Circle #3 is around the stairs, and the main problem there was that the stair standard asset was broken for the third person controller, making it very hard to walk up them, sometimes even throwing the character off of the map. Circle #4 relates to a final set of platforms to reach the ending of the level, and most of my playtesters were able to complete it. However, with the standard assets, slanted platforms make the player character walk to the sides if only holding down the W key, making it harder to walk and jump from, so I have plans to make those easier. Overall, most of my playtesters thought this level was a good start, and with some tweaks, they feel it could be a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment