Friday, February 8, 2019

Kickstart Start (VR and AR Technology)

Out of the many communication technologies available to us in our rapidly-advancing age, I think something I'd really like to learn about is virtual reality and it's applications. As of now, virtual reality is being used in a number of places, but it isn't super widely used just yet (mostly in the early adopters part of our graph from class). While it is available for consumers to buy and own, I do still think that the technology is still in it's infancy in regards to consumerism and entertainment. I do play video games as a hobby and I have noticed more and more VR games coming out which aim to innovate on the movement and tracking controls to make unique experiences. However, it's amazing just how many companies use the technology for different uses, such as Ford using it for their automotive engineering or the U.S. Military using it for defense training. I think what I'd like to look into most when it comes to VR and AR are the millions of other applications it could be potentially used for in the future, while also seeing what side-effects and possible cons that could arise with further development of the technology. It's interesting seeing this technology being used in medical areas, whether it be for students in training or a child patient suffering from a disease that keeps them in a hospital for awhile, allowing them to enjoy their time being there. I would like to invest in a VR headset eventually since I love the many games that have been coming out for it and would love to give them a try. Alongside just being fun, some of the games can also be tasking enough to be used as an actual workout regiment, so it could also be used for bettering my health as well. I'm really interested to see what the future hold for this technology since it already seems to be pushing the envelope and setting bars for technological advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment